Archive for Musicals.Net Musicals.Net
 


       Musicals.Net Forums -> Les Miserables
bigR

25th anniversary cast

I don't there is a thread about this somewhere down here, but I am totally unable to find it.

Anyway, maybe it's been talked about already (I couldn't find it either) but John Robyns has just announced in his site that he will be playing Enjolras in the Tour.

I still don't know what to think about it. Part of me was hoping against hope that they would hire Aaron Lazar as Enjolras... Pray Pray Pray since they didn't, well, Johan Robyns can be interesting.

I really loved his Marius, although one of the reasons why I loved him so much was because he wasn't Marius at all. It was a very fresh take on the role because it was as if he was playing Courfeyrac instead of Marius and all the stuff that happens to Marius happened to Courfeyrac... and also, his sense of humour was fantastic.

But I'm not sure sense of humour and Enjolras mix well together.

So, I really don't know. I loved Robyns Marfeyrac but I'm not sure I see him as Enjolras.
Eppie-Sue

OOh, he has finally announced it? Yeah, we *cough* learned about that two weeks ago (we talked about it in the "Revamped" thread), but I was waiting for Jon to finally post it on his website.

I'm actually really excited about that, and my general attitude is "well, it could have been so much worse". Because, see, at the moment it looks like it's just European (former London) cast members (except for Gareth Gates). And we all know Ramin Karimloo wouldn't do it (and didn't exactly want DT to leave the current London cast!), so that didn't leave many options that wouldn't have made me - and, I believe, many others - go: "OH GOD NO!"

With Jon, I feel that at least his characterisation will be pretty spot-on. That's why I'm not worried that there will be much Jonhumour in the performance, actually. And I'm particularly happy for him, because I think he really loves Les Mis.

So that's what the 25th Anniversary TOUR Cast looks like right now:

John Owen-Jones as Valjean
Earl Carpenter as Javert
Gareth Gates as Marius
Katie Hall as Cosette
Jon Robyns as Enjolras

... I'll just repeat myself and say that I really do believe it could have gone worse. Wink


ETA: thanks flying_pigs, I... well. that was my subconsciousness.
flying_pigs

*cough* Ummm Jon and Gareth both as Marius?! Razz
aquirkofmatter

She's a bit confused - no one's Enjolras other than Thaxton in her eyes!! Wink
Orestes Fasting

Eppie-Sue wrote:
... I'll just repeat myself and say that I really do believe it could have gone worse. Wink


Believe me, there's still plenty of room for it to go horribly, horribly wrong. Laughing
Eppie-Sue

aquirkofmatter wrote:
She's a bit confused - no one's Enjolras other than Thaxton in her eyes!! Wink


I love how you went "a bit confused". It sounds like: "She's deranged but harmless."
I fixed it now, see?! Mr. Green

And yeah, I guess they can still screw it up royally. But so far they seem to be doing a fairly good job with the casting... : )
miraclemile

Eppie-Sue wrote:
Katie Hall as Cosette


Aww, this makes me so happy (: I can't wait until February now...!
Ricey

Eppie-Sue wrote:

So that's what the 25th Anniversary TOUR Cast looks like right now:

John Owen-Jones as Valjean
Earl Carpenter as Javert
Gareth Gates as Marius
Katie Hall as Cosette
Jon Robyns as Enjolras

... I'll just repeat myself and say that I really do believe it could have gone worse. Wink


Umm... thats just weird. Why have they got Gareth Gates as Marius???? Somehow I really cant see that going too well...

And is there any news yet on tour Eponine????
Eppie-Sue

I agree that it's a bit weird that all the other principals who have been casted by now are former Les Mis cast members, reprising their roles or, well, in Jon's case in a different role (we all know he was jealous of The Vest the whole time!) - and then there's Gareth xD ... I heard he was a very camp Joseph Wink but I'm not totally against him, I don't know. For some reason, I think he might just be alright. It could also be the fact that I couldn't care less for Marius.
Eponines_Hat

Well, I got my tickets for Cardiff today...

Circle E5. No idea if they are rubbish or not!

Cant wait for the news on Eponine...
Elin

Fantine understudy - Rhiannon Porter
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/8252260.stm

Bamatabois - Carl Mullaney
http://www.musicalavenue.fr/Actualite/France/20090915/Les-Miserables-a-Paris-ca-se-precise

Young Cosette, Cardiff - Charlotte Nicholas
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2009/09/11/charlotte-sacrifices-her-holiday-and-lands-a-top-role-91466-24660800/
Eppie-Sue

I'm actually grinning a bit over the amount of Welsh in there Wink - with JOJ, too!

It's surprising that u/s Fantine is so young, though, isn't it? Hm.
aquirkofmatter

I just completely randomly stumbled over this (a friend's agent-hunting, I thought I'd be nosy)

Quote:
Rosalind James will shortly begin rehearsals for the part of Eponine in the first International tour of Les Miserables. This entirely new production is presented by Cameron Mackintosh to mark the 25th Anniversary of this most loved of London shows, and starts its UK dates in Cardiff from mid December and taking in six other venues during the year, including Paris.


I can't seem to find anything in a Google search (although she's been in The Bill! - well, it's more than likely her), but at least Eponine has a name now...
NOT mocked

According to http://www.colekitchenn.com, Rosa O'Reilly will be u/s Eponine on the tour, and Leighton Rafferty will be Ensemble.
flying_pigs

Ahhhh, Rosa went to my school!
She's currently in WWRY!
Exciting!
Tenalto

Quote:

Fantine understudy - Rhiannon Porter


Okay, I honestly had a spazz when I saw that a girl with my first name is understudying Fantine (a dream role of mine). I'm already rooting for her. Laughing
Martha Mills

Tenalto wrote:
Quote:

Fantine understudy - Rhiannon Porter


Okay, I honestly had a spazz when I saw that a girl with my first name is understudying Fantine (a dream role of mine). I'm already rooting for her. Laughing


Aww that's nice Smile
Eponines_Hat

Quote:
I'm a bit worried that Jon won't have the ... power ... in his voice to pull it off. Not that his voice isn't strong, I just can't really see it working with Enjolras.



He certainly doesn't have the power of Thaxton's voice. He might actually match Gates' Marius quite well. Jon *does* have quite a commanding stage presence and charisma (IMO) so this should work well in his favour. But lovely Jon as unyielding, stone!Enjolras....?????


Still, love him and cant wait to see what he does with the role. Just mildly disappointed he didnt get Marius
l'ivrogne transfiguré

Did he audition for Marius???
Ricey

Eponines_Hat wrote:
Quote:
I'm a bit worried that Jon won't have the ... power ... in his voice to pull it off. Not that his voice isn't strong, I just can't really see it working with Enjolras.



He certainly doesn't have the power of Thaxton's voice. He might actually match Gates' Marius quite well. Jon *does* have quite a commanding stage presence and charisma (IMO) so this should work well in his favour. But lovely Jon as unyielding, stone!Enjolras....?????


Still, love him and cant wait to see what he does with the role. Just mildly disappointed he didnt get Marius


Well, I'd rather see him as Marius insted of Gareth any day. If anything them casting Gareth as Marius makes me not want to go and see it...
l'ivrogne transfiguré

Quote:
Well, I'd rather see him as Marius insted of Gareth any day. If anything them casting Gareth as Marius makes me not want to go and see it...


I agree to some extent, but I think I might just be being prejudiced ... so I'm determined to go with an open mind.

Anyway, just think that if Jon had got Marius, maybe we'd have had to have Gareth as Enjolras!!!!! Shocked
Eppie-Sue

This makes it sound like they had auditions for Marius and whoever got runner-up was casted as Enjolras xDD - which would be ... no. just no. I don't think Jon auditioned for Marius, actually.
Eponines_Hat

Quote:
This makes it sound like they had auditions for Marius and whoever got runner-up was casted as Enjolras xDD - which would be ... no. just no. I don't think Jon auditioned for Marius, actually.



No, and that certainly wasn't what I meant. I kinda got the feeling that Gareth has been on board for quite a while, well before Jon was approached/expressed an interest in the tour. B'sides, Sir Cameron seems to like the "big names" on the bill to get bums on seats, so maybe that is one of the factors in Gates being an early choice.

Anyway, I am just glad we aren't losing DT/Enjolras for the tour - which was starting to worry me a bit.
Martha Mills

Lynne Wilmot currently in Oliver! is Mme. Thenardier.
Shub-Niggurath

I might see them in Paris - pray I can get holiday for more than a week... the tickets are already bought.
l'ivrogne transfiguré

Booked for Edinburgh - so excited! Mr. Green
       Musicals.Net Forums -> Les Miserables
Page 1 of 1